Friday, June 5, 2009

From waders to radio to TV? What a week!

This has been a crazy, crazy week. After I blogged about the new Cabela's Cazadora Wader, I got a call from my old friend Keli Van Cleave, the Pink Huntress. Keli wants a pair of those waders!

But far be it from Keli to leave it at that. Nope, she had to issue a challenge: After she gets those waders, she wants to go duck hunting with me, me using my shotgun, her using her signature pink bow, and see who gets more ducks.

And as if that weren't enough, she said we should go on Backwoods Radio this week and talk about it.

Oh sure. Why the hell not? Read more...
So that's what we did. We spent two hours on the phone with hosts Michael and Trey Wednesday night, and I told 'em flat out: I'm at best an average shot, but I still think I'll kick Keli's butt.

Don't get me wrong: I've seen pictures of pheasants Keli has shot out of the air with her bow. She's badass. Someday, I'd like to learn archery, and I'd like to be that good. And me? I'm no Tom Knapp. Took me three seasons to get my first limit on ducks.

But a broadhead versus the pile of shot in not one, but three shotshells?

Puh-lease!

I said I'd accept one handicap: If I got any doubles, they'd count as one. (Which is hilarious, because, uh, I've never gotten a double. But really, this coming season could be my year for it.)

That still wasn't enough for Keli. She upped the ante again by challenging Michael and Trey to come film the hunt for a TV show. (Because, you know, the immortal footage of me missing a pig last month in front of the KQED cameras wasn't really enough for my career.)

Now, I haven't seen any of their shows on TV because I don't get the channel they're on, but Keli says they're good, and they're sending me a DVD so I can check them out.

Sight unseen, though, I said I was game, as long as they had a cooking segment with Boyfriend at the end, because you know how I am about that - I think hunting shows really need to show the connection between hunting and food.

(Oh yeah, Keli totally threw me under the bus on the radio and told the guys how critical I am of hunting TV. Thanks, Kel!)

So, yeah, things have spiraled completely out of control, and now I need to find a sweet spot to go duck hunting with this entourage. Or maybe I should just increase the level of challenge and take 'em to a refuge that's thick with hunters...

If you want to hear all that radio show banter (which was all very good-natured), all two hours of it is online on the Backwoods Radio website. Just click on "Past shows online" and if you go there this week, the show from Wednesday night should automatically start playing. If for some reason you're reading this post long after I wrote it, you'll have to go back and look for the June 3, 2009, show.

As for me, I've got to get busy. We're heading down to Michael's place tonight so Boyfriend can get himself a pig. Yep, I just get to watch on this one. Boyfriend has made it clear that I cannot keep him confined in the kitchen - he gets to hunt once in a while too.

Man, what a life.

© Holly A. Heyser 2009


9 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Is it too early to say "I told you so"?
Well it's not your own show [yet] so i guess I'll have to wait a little while longer before I start crowing about my perediction coming true. You two are made for TV, it's only a matter of time.
SBW

Holly Heyser said...

Yes, SBW, definitely too early! But as always, I appreciate your support.

SimplyOutdoors said...

Now this should be interesting, and even though I've never seen Keli shoot, my money is still on the girl with the gun.

I an envious of Keli, however, since I've always wanted to take up traditional archery, but just have never had the means to dedicate the proper amount of time to it.

Good luck, and have fun hunting with Boyfriend; hope he kills some dinner tonight.

Phillip said...

Two things to say.

1.) Awesome.

2.) My money is on the scatter gun.

Phillip said...

OK... now that I've listened to the entire interview (all 120 minutes of it!), I want to re-emphasize number 1... AWESOME!

Great job and highly entertaining conversations. I can't wait to see what comes out of this... I have a feeling Holly is on the road to the outdoors entertainment industry!

I can't think of a better representative!

Tom Sorenson said...

Not a bad week at all!! That'll be a show I definitely will have to watch!

Blessed said...

This is great! And, I'm glad they are throwing in the food segment at the end of the hunting segment - that will be great!

Unknown said...

Holly,
dont be their sucker... go the refuge route, and guarantee your win. Recurve or Longbow unless she's pulling 50 lbs, her kill distance with knock down force will be 25 yards max. Plus she will be using Flu Flu arrows. Those wide feathers cut so much speed off the shaft the ducks will flare.

Would like a ticket for the dinner show? Have fork will travel.

ps if you'd like to learn trad archery drop me a line

ironman said...

Wow, and I can say I knew her way back when, before she was famous!!!
Congrats on your success Holly