Friday, March 26, 2010

Good stuff: A hysterically funny story of a man's first successful pig hunt

I'm a sucker for pretty much any story of someone's first successful hunt, but the story I found today via the Hog Blog is hands-down one of the best I've ever read.

Will Sitch lives in the San Francisco Bay Area (yes, hunters, that's the liberal Bay Area) and has just taken up hunting, motivated by his desire to interact a bit more with the food he eats. Apparently it took only two hunts for the interaction to begin in earnest.

His story starts thusly: Read more...
If at first you don’t succeed, pay someone to help you succeed...

OK, I can respect that. The story continues, developing a cast of characters including Ernie the guide:

Ernie is a cantankerous old bastard. It dawned on us very quickly how cantankerous he is when he told Brad, in a hushed tone, to “shut the f*** up”, that he was “scaring the pigs”. I liked Ernie immediately.

Ernie swears, glares and criticizes a lot:

I called Ernie a “Drama Queen” after he bitched me out about something I did that was wrong. He loved that.

And the story just keeps rolling like that, right up to the climax:

I was surprised by the gunshot. My ears rang. Just like at the range I knew exactly where the shot went before the rifle jerked off-target. It was perfect. Brad and Steve took off running. Why? Where were they going? The pig was down, the pig was… wait… where was the pig?

I haven't laughed this much since watching the movie "Pig Hunt" with Hog Blogger Phillip and his gal Kat last summer.

Folks, please head on over to Will's blog to read the whole story for yourself and offer him your congratulations. You won't regret it. Unless you're really delicate and hate profanity. Even if you do, though, I'm sure you'll live.

© Holly A. Heyser 2010


1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

It's a great tale, really well told
SBW