Sunday, May 11, 2008

Halibut fishing on San Francisco Bay

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then I'm a really grateful blogger today. During an 11-hour halibut fishing trip on San Francisco Bay Saturday, Boyfriend reeled in just one undersized fish. I got nothing. But our friend Evan caught two, and the story of his biggest catch - from dock to stockpot - may not be worth a thousand words, but it's definitely worth a slideshow.


Evan is the one in the first frame; Boyfriend is the one doing the filleting. We tried to get our cat Giblet to pose for the last shot in the slideshow, but the fish was a lot bigger than she is, and she wanted nothing to do with it. Oh well!

Update: If you want to read about the fish's journey after the last slide here, check out Boyfriend's blog - click here.

© Holly A. Heyser 2008

4 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

mmmm...halibut. That slideshow is making me hungry.

Holly Heyser said...

We ate the cheeks last night and they were heavenly. I think Boyfriend will blog about everything he did with that fish later today - I'll post a link when he does.

Tom Sorenson said...

Couple of things - First off, I had no idea halibut had such large and menacing teeth! Next, Boyfriend did a great job with the filleting! Wish I was on the guest list when y'all go to eat on that - and by the way - checked out Boyfriend's blog and thought that he put it into words very nicely the process of turning game into food. (forgot to mention that when I commented on his blog!)

Holly Heyser said...

Yeah, I felt the same way about those teeth. When that fish flops onto the boat, it looks downright ridiculous. And that face... Lord, that face.

But Boyfriend - who's ever more knowledgeable about fish than I am - informed me that the halibut is in deed a formidable predator. Who knew?

I also enjoy the breakdown process he talked about, though everything's weird for a while after I do it. If I pick up the cat, I suddenly feel all her parts very differently. It's very humbling.