Friday, October 9, 2009

Seeking paradise in Mendocino County

I was getting ready for my deer hunting trip to Mendocino County with Phillip from the Hog Blog this weekend when Phillip called.

"Bring your shotgun too. There's quail where we're going."

Dang, I've never hunted quail before. I know lots of people who have quail on their land, but they always love them. They'll let you shoot anything but quail. Read more...
A day later, on another planning call, he said, "Bring your waterfowl loads too. ... Oh, wait, it's not duck season. But there's a creek where you can usually jump a few wood ducks."

Where are we going? Heaven?

Apparently so. That's the thought that crossed my mind this morning as I was stuffing every last necessity in my car - Penzey's hot chocolate, pine nuts for salads. Oh yeah, I like to eat well in camp.

I know there's a high likelihood that I'll come home from this trip empty-handed. Blacktail deer in California can be tough to get. But the fact that I'm going to spend the weekend camping out in a place with that much wildlife has me smiling ear to ear.

Stay tuned - I'll let you know how it went when I get back on Sunday.

© Holly A. Heyser 2009


10 comments:

The Hunter's Wife said...

Have a good trip and good luck!

SimplyOutdoors said...

Good luck. I hope you come back with a Blacktail, and a few ducks and/or quail as well.

sportingdays said...

Have a great time. I hope you get a buck -- and some quail would be fun, too.

Be sure to double check that quail are open where you are hunting. Balance of state opens same day as ducks -- but there's also an early season as well in some parts of CA.

Albert A Rasch said...

Best of luck Holly, I hope you get a full game bag!

Best regards,
Albert
Gutpiles: Every Stomach Tells a Story
Six Reasons to take a Whitetail Doe

Josh said...

Good luck. Quail is my favorite. I get a crazy-eyed look when I get into 'em.

Most especially mountain quail. Chukar do that, too, but I'm usually bug-eyed from the lack of oxygen by the time they start popping out of the side of the cliff.

Marian Ann Love said...

WOW - sounds like a fun weekend for you Holly! You and Phillip should have a great time. Y'all be safe and hope you get to come home with all three...can't wait to read your blog post on your adventure. Good Luck! :)

Shewee woman said...

Holly, beware, you might get hooked on quail! Hope you have a great hunt, sounds like heaven to me too!

Phillip said...

Well, Holly... how shall we tell this tale?

Remember, though, the video camera was rolling... when I remembered to fire it up.

Holly Heyser said...

No ducks, folks - duck season isn't open where we were hunting.

But the rest of the tale is going to have to wait another day - I'm pooped!

Phillip: Oh, don't I wish I had video of YOU!

gary said...

Sounds great but how do you keep it all straight. Different guns and different loads for woodies and quail? details, huh?