Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wayne Pacelle's new book, Part 2

Yesterday I blogged about how I actually like the title of HSUS head Wayne Pacelle's new book, "The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them."

That was a very, very serious post about the "kinship" part of the title. Today, however, I'd like to tell you something funny about the "bond" part of that title.

On the book's Amazon page, there's a video in which Pacelle tells viewers, "I've always had a bond with animals."

On its face, there's nothing funny about that. I would never denigrate anyone's bond with animals (except for those freaks who like to diddle animals, but that's another story).

What's funny about it is that in Ted Kerasote's 1993 book Bloodties: Nature, Culture, and the Hunt, Wayne Pacelle is quoted as saying the following:

"I don't have a hands-on fondness for animals. I didn't grow up with dozens of dogs and cats as many people did. To this day, I don't feel bonded to any particular non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I'm kind to them, but there's no special bond between me and other animals."

Now, 1993 was a long time ago, and I know people can change. Hell, my views about animals have shifted radically over the past five years. But the word "always" has a pretty clear meaning. I'll be interested to learn more about that.

And for the record, I did not make this connection myself - that quote popped up in an Amazon forum I stumbled on when I was looking for the book - so I deserve no credit for connecting the dots. Just for sharing a good laugh.

© Holly A. Heyser 2011

8 comments:

Brian said...

Well spotted on Pacelle's inconsistencies. As I recall in Bloodties, Kerasote became rapidly disenchanted with Pacelle after spending time with him (and admitted he would toss him out of the life raft in favour of the apparently less than ethical 'book hunter'!)

SimplyOutdoors said...

I'm not surprised by Pacelle's inconsistencies, and, like you, I think the word "always" is very telling.

Blessed said...

That is a good laugh! My parents *always* told us to be very careful in our use of the words "always" and "never" guess Pacelle didn't learn that lesson!

Holly Heyser said...

Blessed, I think my parents said the same thing. I try to avoid those words and stick with "highly likely" or "highly unlikely."

Simply: The funny thing is that I do believe that Pacelle's beliefs with regard to animal rights are strong, and I don't think his no-bond statement in '93 is inconsistent with that (in fact, surveys show that the pro-animal rights crowd typically scores the lowest in knowledge of animals).

I just think it's interesting strategy. HSUS is very calculating. It uses the word "trophy," for example, very deliberately. I expect to see a lot more "bond" and "kinship" rhetoric now, and I'll be interested to see where it gets them.

Brian: I recall the same thing! There are some people I disagree with whom I'm sure I would enjoy spending time with, but Pacelle's not one of him.

Anonymous said...

From a distance, I think that Pacelle's "fondness" is mainly for Attention, Having a cause, and $$$.

Cleverly crafting a theme, playing on people's emotions is a good way to achieve all three. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to sign that...

Bill C.-Orygun

Jim Tantillo said...

that's an awesome catch, Holly, I appreciate your blogging that.

Jim

ReneeV said...

The general public needs much more education about HSUS and PETA and their rhetoric.