Thursday, December 25, 2008

Up for grabs: a taste of my life - literally!

Man, I have it rough.

Boyfriend and I were supposed to visit family today for our Christmas dinner, but weather forced a postponement.

So here we are, the two of us, stuck at our place with not a turkey or a cranberry in sight.

Problem? No way, man. Boyfriend can cook. And fortunately for us, we hadn't even stuck my hen gadwall from Sunday's hunt in the freezer yet, so we happen to have a very fat bird ready for roasting.

The best part is I don't even have to do the work. Boyfriend is the wild game master in our kitchen, so I'm just sitting here playing on the Internet while he's clanking away in the kitchen. Must be nice, eh?

Well, you cannot have Boyfriend. Mine! Mine! But for just $10, you can have a chance at some of his gourmet game preparations, and you'll be putting money into a charity to feed some desperately hungry folks in Africa in the process.

You can read all the details about how to enter on his blog, Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, but I'll tell you here what he's giving away:

- Canada Goose “prosciutto”
- Wild boar lonzino, which is air-cured pork loin (pictured above)
- Wild duck salami, done as a soppresata
- 2-3 pounds of fresh wild boar sausages

My contribution is that I hunted the boar and a fair number of the ducks going into the salami.

I know. Rough.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Epilogue

Here's how dinner came out: crispy salt cod fritters, chestnut stuffing and a roasted duck so incredibly fat that the skin bubbled. And the sauce under that duck? Holy cow, amazing. Click here to read Boyfriend's description of how he made the dinner. And click on the photo if you'd like to see mouth-watering detail.

I know. Poor me.


© Holly A. Heyser 2008

8 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Happy crimbo to you both.
Looking forward to hearing all about your hunting related crimbo swag in the coming weeks. Hope 09 is good for you
SBW

Blessed said...

Merry Christmas Holly!

Now I'd better go visit boyfriends blog... :)

Holly Heyser said...

Thanks! And SBW, we'll be sure to get some photos that highlight the goodies. Let's just say Boyfriend will not be wearing a leaky, cheap jacket to the marsh anymore.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I'm amazed how many people don't like duck. My mouth is watering. You inspired me to pull some ducks out of the freezer. Thanks.

Holly Heyser said...

I'm convinced that the main reason - maybe the only reason - some people don't like duck is that they overcook it, which makes it taste like liver. Cooked rare - as it should be - it is incomparable. Cooked skin-on, crisped by browning or roasting, it is divine.

Holly Heyser said...

If anyone would like to see recipes and descriptions for the Christmas dinner in the photo above, Boyfriend has finally posted about it - click here for the details. Seriously, the sauce on that duck will probably be my favorite ever.

Anonymous said...

I went over and entered the raffle. Anyway it could be rigged in my favor?

I'm just asking....

By the4 way, Christmas dinner looks as though it was divine. I'm seriously jealous.

Holly Heyser said...

It was fall-out-of-your-chair fantastic!

Re the contest, I'm pretty sure it is independently administered, so rigging is probably out of the questions.