Monday, June 29, 2009

Cooking: How to flatten a duck for the grill

OK, I know it's not duck season, but it is grilling season, and I'm betting all you dedicated duck hunters still have a few tasty morsels in your freezer.

If you're like us and you dress your ducks whole instead of breasting them out, you know that a big round object doesn't always cook evenly on the grill.

But there's an easy method for flattening the duck. How easy? Check out the audio slideshow I produced for Delta Waterfowl Magazine's WebXtras - it's the first in a series of four at that link.

The slideshow shows still photos of Boyfriend demonstrating the technique, while he narrates to explain what he's doing. Enjoy!

© Holly A. Heyser 2009


8 comments:

Josh said...

The sizzle at the end is a nice touch. Great show!

SimplyOutdoors said...

I just wish I had ducks in the freezer. One of these days, as I've said multiple times, I'm going to have to take up this wingshooting stuff.

For now, though, I'm just going to live vicariously through this blog.

Holly Heyser said...

Simply, if I could hunt only one animal, it would be ducks. They are insanely delicious, especially when you take care and dress them whole - the skin and fat is divine.

And Josh, thanks! That's one of the reason I wanted the audio, not just a photo slideshow. That and hearing the sound of the scissors, knife and breaking bones.

jryoung said...

While I have no duck, I got the idea to do with a chicken and it worked great. A nice change from the 'ol standby of beer can chicken. While roasting is nice, the direct grilling can't be beat.

Unknown said...

I opened my Delta Waterfowl magazine yesterday and saw Hank's article!

Boy, that sure looks yummy.

Holly Heyser said...

Sweet - I guess we'll be getting our copy soon too.

Jon Roth said...

I never thought to remove the saber bone, but boy that sure let's it get F.L.A.T. Great piece Holly and Hank. Thanks!

Holly Heyser said...

Hey LTH, good to see you!

I love bones because they add flavor, but I hate picking through difficult bones. This method gives you a good balance.

(But who am I kidding? I would like any duck Hank served to me!)