Monday, September 26, 2011

Women's duck hunt in NorCal: 11-11-11

UPDATED SEPT. 28 - SEE END OF STORY. 

Ain't that a purty sight? I think it is, because you just don't see it too often - four women headed out for a duck hunt.

I took that picture almost two years ago just before we headed out into the marsh for a little afternoon duck hunting. It was Lucrezia's (right) first duck hunt, and she and Penny (the blonde) ended up getting a snow goose each, which was pretty awesome.

I'm excited to be working on a much bigger women's duck hunting event this November in the Sacramento Valley. Working with Delta Waterfowl and Cal Waterfowl, we're putting on a women's duck hunting weekend for apprentice hunters.

The women will gather Friday Nov. 11 at Red Bank Outfitters in Red Bluff for a night of gourmet game and wine. We'll spend the next day on training - waterfowl ID, shooting instruction, and everything you need to know about hunting ducks on public or private land. Then on Sunday, the participants will head out to a variety of private duck clubs in the Sacramento Valley for a mentored hunt.

The price is $175 per person, and that includes two nights' lodging at Red Bank, food, training and, of course, the hunt. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Know of any women 21 and older who'd be interested in this? Please share this information with them. Sign-ups go through Oct. 7 or when we've reached our limit of 25 women, whichever comes first. Women need to have licenses with state and federal duck stamps, and they need to have, or borrow, their own clothing, gear and guns.

Click here for information and the application form. And if you're one of the women who wants to do this, see you there!

Update: I have really exciting news about this hunt: SHE Outdoor Apparel has agreed to donate one pair of its new women's waterfowl waders to one lucky participant of this hunt. These are high-end waders - they retail for $240. So ladies, if you think you really wanna be a duck hunter, you might want to get in on this.

© Holly A. Heyser 2011

11 comments:

Mike Dwyer said...

Very cool. I am so impressed with your work Holly. I wish there was something similar here in KY. I would like to get my wife involved.

Holly Heyser said...

Kentucky probably has Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW) - I think every state does. I don't think they do things like this, but I'm seeing a LOT more programs to help women start hunting than I did when I started hunting five years ago. Very heartening.

I'm also glad I'm seeing more programs that serve adult men too - it's important not to leave them out. And an adult man who didn't grow up in hunting culture is probably just as intimidated as a woman is.

Marian Ann Love said...

Love the picture of you with the lady hunters Holly...and that's a wonderful opportunity that y'all are doing for lady hunters-to-be! Awesome! :)

Rae said...

Wow! That sounds like a screamin deal and a ton of fun! Makes me wish I still lived in norcal. :)

Anonymous said...

Emailed Judy last night, sent my app/money this AM :)

~M

Holly Heyser said...

Hey everyone, I updated the post this morning with cool news: SHE Outdoor Apparel will be donating one pair of its new women's waterfowl waders, which will be given to one lucky participant at this weekend (we're trying to work it so that the winner is chosen early and the waders will be there for her when she arrives).

These waders retail for $240, so winning these would more than cover the costs of the weekend.

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

Boy do I wish I were closer. I'd do that in a heartbeat, even without the SHE waders!

Hil said...

Holly, I can't remember — have you got yourself a pair of the SHE waders yet? Curious to hear your thoughts (and you can email me privately if you wish).

Holly Heyser said...

I haven't, and I'd like to, because I know you said they are a bit snug for you, so I need to know whether to recommend that the winner get one size larger.

Hil said...

My understanding was that SHE was aware of the sizing issue and was fixing it at the factory (changing labels) before the waders hit retail stores. You should be OK to order your normal size.

Holly Heyser said...

Good to hear! I know a lot goes on between the time things are unveiled at the SHOT Show and when they actually roll out for customers. I'm very excited about seeing these now.