Thursday, February 21, 2008

Washington company announces a new line of hunting apparel for women

Looks like another company is jumping into the women's hunting clothing business: Seattle-based Filson.

Seattle Times reporter Amy Martinez writes this morning that the 111-year-old company will include 40 items in its new line, which will hit stores in March. Here's an excerpt from the story:

"Women already are Filson customers — they've just altered the clothing to make it fit, (Chief Executive Bill Kulczyckis) said. 'I believe Filson should have been in the women's market 10 years ago. We're just not quick to catch onto trends.' "

Well, thank goodness they've caught on.

Unfortunately, I can't find any photos of the women's clothing on the company's website - in fact, when I search for the word "women" I come up with zero. But I plan to get in touch with the company to see what it has to offer.

After visiting the SHOT Show in Las Vegas earlier this month, I came home with contacts from three companies that manufacture only women's hunting clothing (SHE Safari, Foxy Huntress and Prois Hunting Apparel) and a new determination to patronize these businesses so they'll continue to make clothing that fits our figures.

I plan to review items from each of their clothing lines for Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors, where I'm a member of the ProStaff. If Filson's new product line is ready in time, I'll try to add an item or two from its collection to the review as well. I'll post a link here when that review is online.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice that another company has entered the market for women's hunting apparel.

The Marketing Director in me cringes at the CEO's quote though. "We're just not quick to catch on to trends"? Doesn't this company have a Marketing Director?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they have to offer.

Holly Heyser said...

Yeah, that line cracked me up!

Anonymous said...

I would think prior to an annoucement they would've had their website ready to go.

Holly Heyser said...

Actually, they just got back to me and said the catalog will be available next month. For the time being, you can see a women's jacket if you click over to that link to the Seattle Times, but it's not a hunting jacket.

Blessed said...

Filson makes awesome products - I'm glad they are doing women's clothing now too!

Holly Heyser said...

Update: Filson got in touch with me yesterday and they're going to send a couple pairs of pants for field testing, and a catalog showing what they'll have available. The clothing review will be on Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors, but I'll post what I can here too.