Thursday, November 22, 2007

Best Thanksgiving story ever

I'd hoped to have a wild turkey to take to my family Thanksgiving gathering in Twain Harte today, but once again, my vision of being the victorious huntress who feeds legions didn't come to fruition. (I know! I know! I need to get over myself.)

So in the absence of a wild-turkey cooking story of my own, I wanted share my favorite Thanksgiving story ever: this piece from Salon last year about a woman who raised and killed her own turkey.

The story is fantastic, and the comments section is even better. A crazy war broke out among the commentors - a battle between the pragmatists who get where meat comes from, and the faint-hearted "how dare you" crowd that felt betrayed that Salon would even publish the piece.

It takes a little while to get through it all. But if you don't care about football and you feel like getting away from that special relative for a while today, come back to your computer and check it out.

And happy Thanksgiving!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was really something! You're right, the comment thread was something else!

Holly Heyser said...

I loved it, if for no other reason than to chuckle at meat eaters who criticized the author.

I respect vegetarians who oppose killing animals, even though I don't relate to them). But meat eaters who criticize killing for meat are just hypocrites.

OK, I also loved the readers who were so upset that Salon would dare provide this glimpse at reality.