Saturday, November 17, 2007

Guns for grrrrrrls

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketLooking for a special Christmas gift for the woman in your life? Nothing says love quite like a shotgun. I've shot only one kind - mine, the Beretta Urika AL391 - but there's a good thread on the Duck Hunting Chat (my favorite place for duck hunting info) about guns that work well for women. Lots of sage advice from my sisters out there, including one good bit about the fact that a hand-me-down gun from the hubby often doesn't fit very well.

Actually, nothing says love like hunting together on Christmas morning, so you might want to let her unwrap it the night before.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't recommend a pink gun. I just don't get that whole thing. I guess to each his (or her) own, but what serious hunter is going to want a pink gun?

Hopefully gun manufacturers will catch on and make guns to sell to women that are sized for women, and not just regular guns that are pink.

Anonymous said...

A great tip for women hunters/shooters is to get that new gun to the smith for a fitting.

Most shotguns and rifles can be cut and adjusted for a very reasonable fee (I think we paid $25 or so to get my GF's Remington 870 cut down to fit her) and the payoff in reduced recoil and improved accuracy can be amazing.

Andy said...

I started Julie out with a beautiful pre-war Winchester Model 12 in 16ga. While a Model 12 fits me like I was born with one in my hands, it just wasn't right for Julie.

For Christmas I bought her a youth model Remington 11-87 20ga in Mossy Oak Break-up. It fits her so much better. It is compact and light. It is a very soft shooting gun.